Mother’s Day is right around the corner, and moms everywhere are hoping to celebrate! Maybe you long for pitter pattering feet scampering down the hall to present breakfast in bed. Maybe you envision homemade cards and flowers pulled from carefully cultivated gardens or plucked from cracks in the sidewalk clutched in chubby little fists. Maybe you look forward to a mani-pedi or day at the spa. Maybe you hope for dinner out so you don’t have to cook and clean. Maybe you most want cuddle time with little ones, alone time to read a pictureless book, or all your children under one roof again.
Whatever you hope for this Mother’s Day, I hope you get it and more, but whether anyone celebrates Mother’s Day with you or not, you should celebrate yourself! Sometimes we forget that.
Women are so busy. We have jobs, homes, cars, bills, and responsibilities. We have children’s events and volunteer activities. When we look at all we have to do, it’s easy to become overwhelmed! Doubt and worry creep into our lives, and we put ourselves last. Then we think we aren’t enough, but it’s not a lack of education, money, intelligence, or relationships that prevent women from getting what they desire. It’s lack of confidence!
One way to build confidence and overcome doubt and worry is to intentionally celebrate yourself! Don’t wait for someone else to validate you. Don’t wait for a perfect Mother’s Day celebration or hope someone else remembers or reads your mind! Go after what you want by loving yourself better through celebrating yourself better.
Forget relying on others to validate you. Don’t wait for thoughtful cards, perfect flowers, or candlelit dinners to celebrate yourself. Those are bonuses! Don’t treat yourself to things you can’t afford or run up bills in “shopping therapy.” Overspending provides false hope! God gives better ways to celebrate!
5 Ways to Celebrate Yourself This Mother’s Day
- Greet Each Day – Remind yourself that each day is a gift. Lie in bed each morning and make it a habit to thank the Lord for whatever the day brings; rejoice in the Grace He gives to handle it. Let no fear or negativity intrude in this daily celebration! Even if you don’t always apply Grace adequately, knowing it resides in you is worth daily celebration!
- Be Amazed – We spend a lot of time bemoaning all we didn’t get to. Instead, allow a few minutes to reflect on how far you’ve come!
- Find Quiet Time – Even if it’s only a few moments each day. Gift yourself with peace and quiet. Breathe deeply and meditate prayerfully for ten uninterrupted minutes. Make this time a priority and enforce it! What a difference this celebration makes!
- Laugh Out Loud – Try it! Make humor your Go-To emotion. Even when things are tense, there’s usually something humorous to discover or remember. Stand in a room by yourself and just laugh. Laughter is not only the best medicine but also an important part of celebration! Don’t hold back!
- Sing & Dance! – My first real teaching job was in a fifth grade class at a Catholic school in Charlotte, NC, and one of my favorite memories was the children’s voices singing, “Lord of the Dance.” Imagine a few hundred off-key children belting out,
Dance then, wherever you may be.
I am the Lord of the dance said He.
I’ll lead you all wherever you may be.
I’ll lead you all in the dance said He!
The glorious song goes on as the Lord invites you to dance with Him in every situation even when it feels like the devil is on your back. Look for opportunities to sing and dance and let yourself go! Don’t worry about how you look. You are a child of God and He wants to hear you belt out words in song too!
This Mother’s Day and every day, make celebrating you, not as the world says, but in real, deep, fun, life-affirming, God glorifying ways, a priority. You are fearfully and wonderfully made by the God who made and loves you and who continues to make and Love you every second of every day! He longs to have you dance in step with His heart! He longs to celebrate with you!
If you want to find a healthy, God honoring way to celebrate who you are or who you are becoming, I would love to coach you! Subscribe to my newsletter for tips and short videos or send me an email today! I look forward to hearing from you!